I wanted to call this post “Best fish tacos EVER,” but I just posted about the best blogging tool ever and if I keep insisting that I know the best “X” (fill in the blank) ever, I’ll lose all credibility with you. Because really, who likes a know-it-all?
I’m awful at blogging recipes as real recipes -- I bow to Pioneer Woman! -- so here’s more of a list (please don’t ask me for exact amounts… as my mom used to say, “Dad fuehlt man,” which means one just feels it!) and then a narrative:
- Tortillas (You can use corn, but tonight we used Trader Joe’s “truly handmade” flour tortillas.)
- Fish (For ease, I use Trader Joe’s beer battered cod. You can also use fresh fillets rolled in a mixture of cumin, coriander, paprika, red pepper garlic, salt and pepper.)
- Lime-cilantro crema:
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 T mayo (I use light)
- 3 T sour cream (I use light)
- Rind of 1 small lime
- juice of 1 small lime
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- The fixin’s:
- I made quick guacamole by mixing:
- a few avocados, smashed
- some fresh pico de gallo
- fresh garlic, minced
- lime juice and a bit of rind
- salt & pepper
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded cabbage
And then a narrative:
Bake the fish according to directions. How easy is that?!
While the fish bakes, make the crema by mixing all crema ingredients together. How easy is that?!
The crema takes about 35 seconds to make, so you’ll also have time to whip up the guacamole while the fish bakes.
I buy already-shredded cheese and cabbage, so that also takes only a few seconds.
Heat the tortillas for just a few seconds, either in the microwave or in the oven with the fish (but only for about a minute or two!).
Place everything on the table and dig in! YUUUUUM! Let me know if you tried this and if so, what you thought!