18 years ago, during a violent wind storm (nicknamed "Wind '95" because Windows '95 had just been released), a huge tree fell on our house from two properties away.
All bedrooms on the upper level of our home were heavily damaged. Thank goodness no one was in them! A good chunk of the tree went straight into what was then Aleks' and Peter's room and surely would have hurt them... or worse!
One car, which contained all the kids' Christmas presents in the trunk, was totalled and another was heavily damaged.
It took many months for us to have our home back -- mostly because the asbestos abatement work that had to be done due to what we were told was contaminated ceiling popcorn. The hardest part of all this for the kids (then just little kidlets) was watching their favorite toys, stuffed animals, books, and even bedding being disposed of by men wearing alien-looking protective garb from head to toe. It was not a fun time!
Fast forward 18 years: we now have some fairly minor water damage caused by a leaky roof (which has since been replaced).
Turns out insurance covers the damage. Yay, right? Following procedure, they tested the popcorn ceiling for asbestos, in spite of my assurances that there is definitely asbestos there. After all, we remember it well!
Surprise: the lab report indicates NO ASBESTOS DETECTED.
This is Peter's career field. He is a licensed Industrial Hygienist and certified "asbestos guy" (I don't recall the exact name of the certification). For both personal and professional reasons, he insisted on a second sampling, taken specifically by him and sent to a different lab. Those results came back today and guess what? "NO ASBESTOS DETECTED"!!
This means that the months of inconvenience, but even more, the real heartbreak the kids went through was for naught!! I can’t even really wrap my head around how this feels.
But, on the plus side, no asbestos!